Not Knowing Marketing Can Make You A Better Business Owner
We hear an admission from many of our clients: “I really should know how to do marketing, but I just don’t.” If you find marketing overwhelming and don’t know where to begin, we have some great news: you don’t need to know how to market!
Think about it this way:
- Do you want your physician to be an expert on medicine or on marketing?
- Do you want your kids’ school teacher to focus on teaching your child or marketing their expertise?
- Do you judge your painter on the beauty of their business card?
“No, no, and no.”
Then why, as a business owner, do you feel like you should know how to market?
Here are the facts:
- In a digital age, marketing is moving quickly and can be difficult to keep up with.
- Generations are changing and marketers need to have an understanding of them to effectively communicate with them.
- Social Media platforms are popping up everywhere and each has a tone. A marketer should know the tone of each and how to speak to the audiences within them.
- Acronyms, acronyms, acronyms: SEO, PPC, what do they even mean? (Follow our blog this summer for our digital marketing series)
Just as there is a certain skill set needed to be a good accountant, the skills required to be a good marketer are unique and NOT inherited. Your best bet is to leave marketing to the marketing experts and focus your energies on what you do best: managing your business.